Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Caching run

So despite my sore knee, I was going a little stir crazy just sitting around the house do Saturday I decided I would go on a cache run into a new area. After a brief search, I found a unvisited park called Chippokes Plantation State park in Surry, VA. This park has several discovery centers, historic sites, a museum, and most importantly a Captain John Smith series cache.

The series highlites historically important sites significant to, you guessed it, Captain John Smith. I have found approximately 12 in the series and once you have located and documented the finds of at least 17 of the 40 caches you can earn a traceable Geocoin.

After an hour and thirty minutes as I was driving through Smithfield, VA, it started to rain. Not to be discouraged I checked radar and could see it was only an isolated storm. So I stopped for lunch and pushed on to the park where the sun was out and it was dry.

First stop was at the visitors center where I spotted the pictured Bobcat. I grabbed my part stamp for my logbook, and a trail guide. (I learned to never cache an unfamiliar park without a trailguide) the CJS cache was located between a picnic area and the community pool. Ignoring both I started walking and quickly located the cache behind an ancient tree on an old unused trail! After a quick note of the code words and a photo op (both required steps for the CJS series) I signed the logbook and dropped one of my pathtags and a trackable bug.and then searched the area time locate two more park caches not to miss. GC1ORYX, & GC3D53D. the later is a Virginia State Parks blooming adventure series and all are in ancient gardens. All in all, I half a great day of caching in Surry county and finished the day picking up a geochallenge before driving back across the rivers!


3 comments:

Rick Northup said...

Good to see you have been Blogging again. I will take the time later today to read everything you have posted.

Rick Northup said...

Looks like you have not posted much. I really would like to see us communicating again regularly on the BLOGspot, or somewhere.

NorthRock said...

I plan to regularly post about cache runs here.