Friday, March 18, 2005

5 minutes to the fastest computer speeds

Ok so in case you haven't noticed I haven't been around for a while... Two days to be exact, why the disappearance? Well it all started about a week ago with a little storm while Allison was home and we lost power. After it came back we couldn't get online, two days later I had fixed that problem and was dealing with a computer that was creeping around at dial up speeds. I dumped the TEMP FOLDER and Emptied the TRASH CAN. No luck... Next comes with an Defrag test... It could use it so I allowed the computer to DEFRAGMENT THE HARD DRIVE. This process took oh like 4 hours but it just had to work right? No luck... Next on the adjenda was sleep.... Day two home from work and ready to get started I had been thinking on it all day and my answer was either SPYWARE or ADWARE so I let Norton Scan the hard drive... It found four items that were suspicious but it was not able to delete them... Now came the extremely slow online search for a better Spyware program and guess what? Microsoft.com Has just released a new SPYWARE BETA for users of Microsoft windows free if you can prove that your version is a legal copy (note: the sticker on the back of your computer containing the SN # for your copy) after a three hour download( only takes 5 minutes at regular DSL speeds) I installed the BETA and ran it. First off let me just say W O W ! ! ! In roughly 5 minutes it had scanned my computer and found like 5 Adwares, 3 spywares, a reincarnated spyware, and multiple bad portals files. POWERFUL STUFF GUYS!! Stop what you are doing and go get it now!!!

but ok did it work? No #@#$%^&*())_!!!#$%%^$#@


ok I am better now... I call up Verizon DSL THREE TIMES FOR LIKE ATOTAL OF FOUR HOURS and do you think they fixed it? NO!!!! But sir as far as we are concerned all your settings are optimized for DSL, Your lines in and out of your computer report higher than normal speeds, there is nothing else we can do. So where do I go for help? I asked, no I groveled. Well, how about your manufacturer?

Emachines? Ha ha ha this is so laughable they won't help me...

So I crawled online and searched blogs for anything that might help....

then I crawled to bed

day three home again and online with Verizon....Same thing go to Emachines...

frustrated, tired exhausted I search for emachines.com.... find a tech support number and called...


Let me tell you it took 19 seconds for a tech support to answer the phone... NINETEEN SECONDS!!! He listened patiently and thoroughly as I begged for support....
"Larry" he started press the START button and then click on RUN. Now type msconfig and hit enter. Ok been there done that right? Click the startup tab and then click on disable all...

no I am sorry did you say disable all? Yes Larry, disable all of it. uhhmm are you sure? Yes just do it and trust me. uhh ok it is done... Now re-enable only "ccApp" that is your Norton anti-virus, "BigFix" that is our automatic recovery utility, and "msnmsgr" that is your default messenger that gets email. And reboot your computer.


did it work? It worked better than it ever has, EVER!!! NONE of these programs HAVE to be enabled,.... NONE you can them all to start by clicking on them.


nuff said

4 comments:

Rick Northup said...

Looks like you had a lot of Programs running in the background on your computer. Did you go through the list and try to figure out which ones you are sure you could just delete??

NorthRock said...

Yeah i did have some all ready disabled That I knew what they were, however some of the programs are cleverly hiddin spyware stuff, or adware made to look like legit programs...

Di said...

Hey, Larry, I like what you have done here. Your Dad was wrong to say I was the Blogginest Blogger. You win hands down.
Good job.,

Di said...

IU won't even ask how you did those fancy things that follow the cursor or the commentary in the status bar.